Wednesday, October 1, 2008

The Sad Reality for Ultrafoot

I'm getting back into Ultrafoot after yet another long hiatus...

The whole problem is I want to be an animator. You know, really. I want to develop my craft. Every professional project I work on is always so rushed, budgets are small, schedules are tight, and there's always an attitude of producing work that's just good enough and moving quickly on.

I've been watching too many classic Disney films and reading too much by and about the animators of that era lately. They had the opportunity to work a character and a scene through to it's full potential. I'm finding my research into that period both exhilarating and depressing. I just don't see my freelancer lifestyle ever allowing for that same exploration of the craft.

So it occurs to me the only place I'm going to find that kind of opportunity is with side projects like Ultrafoot. Without being beholden to a budget or schedule, I'm able to try new things and put a little more effort in. The terrible down side is that any paying work that comes along must push Ultrafoot aside. There are people I know, able to pass over lucrative work in order to persue the projects they want to work on. I admire that a great deal, and I really wish I could be more like that, but that's just not me. I need to live with some comfort and security and I can hardly believe I've been able to attain as much of that as I have while doing what I love to do for a living.

And so Ultrafoot has dragged on for a year and a half so far, and it's far from finished, as you can see. In fact, eachtime I return to it after a break, I'm tempted to overhaul the whole project! I'll try not to take too many steps backward this time. I'm highly motivated to make some progress, I have no other work lined up at the moment and I have some talented people interested in helping out. Watch for updates!

No comments: